Veteran’s Day is largely intended to thank living veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contribution to our national security is appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served, not only those who died, have sacrificed much to honor their country.
Here are some ideas of how you can honor veterans on November 11th (and everyday!):
- Wear your PeaceTag. Explain to people that you do so to honor the service of American veterans AND to wish them, their families and all of us more peace. PeaceTags donates all net proceeds to veterans and peacemaking causes.
- Send a donation to the Fisher House (www.fisherhouse.org) one of our AMAZING non-profit partners who provide a peaceful oasis for the families of veterans to stay at while their loved one receives medical treatment at VA Hospitals.
- Volunteer at a VA Hospital. Contact your local VA hospital's community volunteer coordinator and explore volunteer opportunities
- Thank a veteran for their service. There are over 23 million veterans currently living in the US. These include veterans from WWI through the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Simply say thank you. It will mean a lot.
- Do one simple act to create more peace today. A more peaceful world is in all of our best interests. And a peaceful world is what all veterans and their families want. We won't all lead a Civil Rights Movement like Martin Luther King, Jr., nor will many of us care for thousands of sick people like Mother Teresa. But we CAN commit to small acts of kindness and compassion that make our world a little better, a little more peaceful.
Happy Veteran's Day and a heartfelt thank you to this nation's veterans from PeaceTags!!!!